Okay, I actually did a search on this and couldn't find a satisfactory answer to this question. - have also consulted my books and it is unclear:

When focussing any view camera, and applying the Scheimpflug law, why doesn't the entire scene, if done correctly, come into perfect, sharp focus on the GG? Even with many, complex movements? As in, you have correctly set the plane of focus to correspond with the important areas of the subject, which happens to NOT be parallel to the film plane. I've always been told and it seems to be this way in practice too, that you first focus on the far, make your movements for the near, then refocus until you have "split the difference" between the near and far. Neither will be in perfect focus, then stop down to bring everything relatively sharp for the shot. It seems to me tha if movements are properly applied, everything should be sharp already, even at a fairly large aperture.

Which brings me to part two of this question: The Scheimpflug principle states that when the subject plane of [desired] focus, the lens plane (front standard) and the film plane (rear standard) are all allowed to form converging lines, then everything on the subject plane will be in focus. Or something to that effect.

Here's a somewhat simplified example of what I'm asking here: It seems to me that if, for instance, you wanted to focus on a vertical wall, with the camera slightly pointed upward, and you left the front standard at zero and applied a little back tilt, you'd then have your converging lines, the "SP" would be satisfied and the wall would be able to brought into perfectly sharp focus at, say, f5.6. The building might be a little distorted in this example, but should still have wall in sharp focus, right?

Why can't I seem to be ale to achieve this in practice? It seems to me that ANY TIME I have a little front std front tilt and rear standard back tilt, I should be satisfying the SP and be able to bring that part of scene into razor sharp focus?

Frankly, I don't use that many movements in the type of photography I do. I.e., point camera at flat wall of building, level and zero everything, and trip shutter. Like I would with any non view camera. I've been discouraged from working with movements much, because of my frustrating lack of understanding on this focus issue.

Thanks ahead for your collective wisdom and comments!

Phil aka "Cletus"