I thought about adding this to Christopher Nisperos recent post but I think it might be of greater interest on its own so, while not strictly dealing with LF here goes:

While evaluating my family's "consumer" photo practices to see how we can use more film based products, it occurred to me that most of our family snapshots end up in scrap books. Scrap books are a HUGE industry these days, at least in the US Canada and Australia. There is a bit of a paradox as well. Archival is a term widely used among scrapbook supply marketeers. Presumably scrapbooks are meant to be handed down through the generations which does make long term durability an issue. The nature of producing family snapshots by digital means also compliments the scrapbook fad to an even greater degree. Costs, once the digicam and card are purchased are minimal. You only print the shots you want, instantly at a kiosk and keeping track of images with those thumbnail things are both user friendly and space saving(well, kind of I guess)

There is also the nostalgic side of scrapbooking which dictate at least some images be B&W.

A digital enthusiast might argue that all the needs of a scrapbooker can all be accomplished with the help of Photoshop. Bad exposures rescued and no end to the styles of prints to foster the creative muse. To the contrary, I've observed that many "scrappers" my bride associates with aren't computer nerds. They are often working Mothers who have many demands on thier time and scrapping is at once luxury, thearapy, and act of family love---not a video game or computer literacy course!

Here is our family "M.O." for snapshot "photo-ops": My wife wields a Canon A-something hundred and I man the Olympus point and shoot loaded with Tmax100 or if Tmax is unvailable (like we run out of film and haveto resupply at a drugstore or Costco) ubitquitous Kodacolor 200 (Sometimes I'll even drag out the Crown Graphic!)

True enough, often the same day Suzelle will get her digi prints and commence a scrap book page while days pass until the B&W stuff is back from the lab(I don't develop my own 35mm anymore as I take my lazyness quite seriously) I notice the B&W prints are always very well recieved by not only my wife, but her friends too. Numbers wise, a greater percentage of the B&W get included in the scrap books than with digital.

If your experiences are anything like mine, make sure you tell people that silver based photography is truly long lasting. Remind them that a back up P& S will often save the day a should a power hungry digi start to demand a recharge of it's batteries and will often cycle faster and allow for closer in shooting. Point out that B&W silver is the real deal and not an image that merely "looks like" B&W silver. Its a good sales pitch in favor of B&W. You might try it if the opportunity presents itself, or you might suggest a B&W "Primer" to be presented at a local scrap book store if there is one in your area.

Just a thought.