Just letting folks know how my first run of developing 4x5 black and white turned out using the smaller 2500 series tank that holds one 2509n 4x5 sheet film holder. I loaded it with two sheets of Tri-X and two sheets of Tmax (in a changing bag without the special loader with no problems).

I used 700cc of a home brew similar to Xtol 1:3 (modified Pat Gainer's Vit C/phenidone with added sodium sulfite). I rotated the tank by hand on a set of casters fastened to a board. I used a rate of about 30 tank revolutions per minute, changing direction every 15 seconds. I did a two minute pre-soak. Developing time was 9 min. at 72 degrees F. This was very effortless and did not cause any wrist strain. I alternated hands to turn the tank at a nice easy pace.

The negs are drying now. They appear evenly developed, even in the sky areas. I don't see any extra edge density at this point, which some people apparently get with this tank system.

I have done many hundreds of sheets in trays and tanks. I like this method because it is done in daylight, and film handling is minimal.

BTW, I picked up this tank and the larger one with two 2509n holders for $30 used. It works great! I highly recommend this method. Don't get the film loader, you don't need it. I don't even think a motorized drum turner is necessary either.

Steve Murray