I went 35mm film, digital 35mm, 4x5, 120, 8x10. 35mm film (B&W) taught me a great deal about darkroom work, exposure, processing. Image quality was reasonably nice, but not as good as quality 35mm digital. I got a hankering to get back into film but I wanted better image quality, so I went 4x5. You learn some more things doing LF, as has been described here. I also do a little 120 film with a TLR; it's smaller and lighter than my 35mm nikon SLR gear and makes images of good quality. It's quicker to operate than 4x5.

For the OPs shooting requirements, either 4x5 or MF would be fine. What you want to do with it is super important with regard to the decision. LF has tremendous image quality, but isn't as quick to setup. If you're doing sports or candids, 35mm analog or digital would be best. For portraits, landscape, buildings, LF has some good advantages, but MF can be good quality and volume.

With prices being so low, you don't have to say one or the other. Get it all if you have space. If you have limited space, get ancillary gear that handles it all. A nice 4x5 enlarger handles it all. An epson v700/v750 scanner instead of a v500. Flashes that let you shoot portraits at small apertures, Tripods suitable for heavier camera, etc..