In the last six weeks, I've spent $2500 on framing. I'm happy with the shop that is doing the work, but I think that I'm going to be in for another $6000 to $8000 over the next 12 months. I'm beginning to wonder whether I should start doing it myself.

I have the space and the main tools necessary to make wood frames and cut aluminum moulding. There are a few additional tools that I would have to acquire, but they are not expensive. There's a shop not far from me that can cut glass to my specifications.

I am not set up to cut mats, unless I do it with a couple of straightedges and clamps and acquire a Dexter handheld cutter. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have the feeling that this route would be frustrating and the results spotty.

If I'm going to buy a dedicated mat cutter, I want to get one that will just do the job, no issues. I'm considering machines by Keencut, Valiani and Fletcher. They all seem to run $1200-$1500. Not cheap, but the reality is that this isn't a lot of money in comparison with what I expect to spend, if I continue to use a framing shop, over the next year.

I have two questions of people who are doing their own framing.

Are you saving a significant amount of money over what a framing shop would charge?

Are you getting professional results?

Also, I'd appreciate comments on the merits or otherwise of the three brands that I'm considering.

Thanks.