Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
I tend to agree.... why make a lot of work for yourself.
I disagree with both you and Joanna.

I went and looked at your site. It wouldn't matter whether the b&w photos there were printed with b&w inks or not. I am NOT saying you are a bad printer - I assume that you may have tons of experience and the prints are exactly what you intended. That kind of print is not difficult for a color inkset to make, that's all.

There is an issue of printing style and what someone is after here. If you are a fairly contrasty printer, want to make prints like Greg here, or you have a fairly commercial look, I say make life easy and go with ABW. I sincerely mean no disrespect - it takes all kinds.

If, on the other hand, one's sights are set to a different tune, say to reproduce the range of a George Tice print, a Frederick Evans print, a Weston, a Caponigro, Sutcliffe, etc., I submit that color ink won't do it justice, nor will two to three black ink carts. The b&w inks are still here, after a number of years, and people put so much effort into it because they are getting a return... Cone's inks are really something, QTR and StudioPrint are pretty terrific. It can be difficult to get everything balanced but once you do it works for a good long while... and you can forget the tech and get back to work knowing you have the tools to do it well.

Just my 2cents

Lenny