I've got a Horseman VH, which is an affordable compact camera with full movements for someone willing to limit himself to 120 rollfilm. Horseman even provided some attractive accessories that make it more flexible than just a bellows folder with a groundglass back. A Horseman Rotary Back attempts to reduce the tedium of physically swapping out the conventional GG focusing panel and rollholders with a rotating film gate and GG port. Unfortunately, it does this at the cost of adding 25mm of extension to a body design that already is only minimially friendly to short-focus lenses. On a flat board (no recessed boards are available), without the Rotary Back, the shortest lens the VH can focus using the focusing rack is 65mm--not very impressive when shooting 6 x 7 frames. With the Rotary Back, the limit is more like 90-100mm lenses.

A workaround for this problem with 4 x 5 bodies and 120 rollholders is to slip the rollholder under the focusing frame, just as you would a sheetfilm holder, but the 4 x 5 frame 120 holders have a relatively wide flange which centers knobs and other paraphenalia in the center of the frame so they don't get hung up on the Graflok springs. The 6 x 9 rollholders can't avoid this and require the GG focusing frame to be removed so that Graflok clamps can attach the rollholder.

Recently I noticed that Toyo makes a thin-bodied 6 x 9 rollholder that might slide under the focusing frame for international G backs. I do see some protrusions on this design that might cause problems. I am particularly interested in hearing about attempts to mount this back on Graphic 23 or Horseman VH/VH-R/ER-1 models.

Here are images of the Toyo rollholder; this one is 6 x 9, but I think there were also other frame sizes.