I just purchased a new 8x10 Canham lightweight. I can't wait. It's in the mail, apparently. I'm looking for a lens that will do what I need....

I am using Efke in D-23, so far the best, but still having trouble separating the midtones the way the old, delicious film used to do (Tri-X, FP4). I am scanning it and then printing with wide format - with my own custom mix of b&w ink. My image printing style is close to a platinum print. I don't care about heavy (or deep) blacks and I'm scanning, so I don't have to worry about blowing out the highlights. I do care very much about the midtones.

I have been using a Century Universal that has seen its day - after about 100 years, I think its time she got retired. My lens of choice was always the 12 inch Dagor - altho' this last one I am using hasn't been as good as the first few....

However, in the interest of getting the most out of today's film (and stopping all this whining), I am looking at swapping out to a more modern lens. It seems that when things fall apart in the film today, they really go. Tones appear to fall together - an area where there ought to be a lot of tones, plenty of more detail, etc., morphs into a single tone. I am thinking I should eliminate all forms of flare/fog, diffraction and any other aberrations effects that may be accentuated by my process. I think I will also use the polarizer a bit more often...

In that interest, I am looking for a new lens. I am more interested in sharpness overall (good depth of field) rather than critical sharpness. Any thoughts on what would be the cleanest, sharpest lens when closed down all the way? Is there a lens that would be optimal for greatest depth of field?

In the 12 inch, ought I be looking at the Rodagon or Schneider? Apo Sironar S vs Apo Symmar L? Something else? Weight is also a concern, as I am hiking with this thing.

2nd question: I have a 300mm Fujinon f9 lens that someone left here. Is this any good?

Thanks,

Lenny

P.S. Just out of curiosity, is the answer to all this in that 3 disk set of "Everything you ever wanted to know about any lens ever made in this universe or the next" by Steve Simmons, that I got a few years ago?