I wasn't sure about the best way to title this subject, but it is one that has struck my curiousity recently. Before asking the question, I have mentioned and have seen mentioned many times about using different sizes of film inside a film holder that is specified for a given format. For example, Joe (Jetcode) mentioned how with a 4X10 holder, you can shot 4 by any size smaller than 10. I have used Joe as an example because 4X10, like other panoramic formats of the 1:2.5 ratio can give a load of different choices when inserting the 4" part of the sheet.

I have also been told by a very experienced and exceptionally intelligent photographer of every format ever made practically, that the long side of the holder, in Joe's case, the 10 side of a 4X10 holder, is very critical for keeping the film flat.

1) For those that do or have done random sizes within your format/s of choice, be it 4X8 in a 4X10 holder, or 2.5X4 in a 4X5 holder, etc. etc.

2) What do you do in order to maintain film flatness?

3) Can you achieve as good of a film flatness as you can using the format's full sheet of film?

4) Last and not least, how critical is that long side of a holder in maintaining proper film flatness as opposed to only having the film loaded in on the film's rails?

Thought this would be an interesting topic since I have not seen it discussed and it may serve some well who do like to experiment with different sizes within the format holder of choice.

Thanks!