I am the lucky recipient of a new V8. I think it is 1930s...square cornered lensboard, no front swing; battlescarred. Has tripod base...may have been added later?

The only mechanical problem I can see is that the right-hand pinion gear of the rear extension drive is not engaging or missing...turning the drive knob, only the left side of the frame moves back...the right side has to be pulled out in step with the left by hand. I would think it should be driven out by gear action, especially since there is a rack on both sides. But this is not a big deal...in most ordinary use I won't need back extension and if I do I'll just help it out. Seller (nice guy) thought that was the way it always was. Any thoughts? How hhard to fix, if it needs fixing?

The lens board assembly frame was surrounded by dried out gaffer tape, performing no function that I could see other than preventing the secondary rise fall. I took it off and am working on getting the nasty white tape glue residue off by rubbing with lighter fluid. Some is coming off, some staying.