Hi everybody,
I'm a 27 years old photographer living in Central Italy (got Rome? opposite coast) who, after many years spent with "small format" gear (which I still use a lot) and a couple of old but honest MF cameras, decided to make the "big jump" and venture into the wil... sorry, that's the movie picture... i mean large format.
Here in Italy, a person messing with an LF camera would be looked with a mixture of compassion ("poor boy... he can't even afford a Coolpix") and curiosity, as only the pros shoot 4x5 (let alone larger formats) in their studios, for professional purposes; amateur LF photographers are a scarce commodity (actually, I've never seen one in my life here).
Anyway, I've grown up studying books by Kodak and A.Adams, so I had the opportunity to understand the american approach to photography, which reserves a premium status to LF.

I'm currently waiting for a 1963 Graflex Crown Graphics Special shipping from Minnesota which, judging from the eBay photos, should be in great shape.
I chose this camera because of the low price (I want to take an easy approach and understand the basics and what I really need before making any bigger investments)and because of a supposed easiness of operation. After all, it was made for reporters!
The camera is complete with a Schneider Xenar 135mm f/4.7, it's a Tessar desing and from what I read it's able to provide sharp pics (without movements, we'll see what happens with a tilted standard).

Here, LF film is quite expensive (a 4x5 10-sheet box of Velvia 50 is 30 euros, or $45) and pros buy it directly from national Kodak or Fuji distributors; buying from UK is cheaper for me, go figure!!!

I'm planning to use mostly Velvia (no b/w as I'll scan the film, edit in PS then make the lab print it) and shoot landascapes. However a couple of b/w contact prints, just to see what is like, may show up sometime in the future

That's pretty much all for now.
In the meantime, as I've still no 4x5 transparencies to show you, take a look to a little gallery (that's Rome, taken with a D200 DSLR) made last february:
http://kamox.altervista.org/roma

Thanks in advance for your support, I'll need it!

Kamox