I have read the countless, though of course, countable threads on the use or lack of a use of a center filter. Here is the data I have collected, but I do not know if it is all and I was hoping to make a nice thread to see what others feel about using center filters. Hence, the title of the thread, to center filter or not to center filter.

1) Center filters "need" a step up filter. Myth or fact?

2) Center filters, when shooting b/w are often times not used since the vignetting is easily dealt with.

3) Center filters depend on the lens being used. For example, two different 65mm (take any focal length of choice with same image circle) lenses with equal coverage may not have similar illuminating characteristics, hence, the need to use the CF for one but not the other.

4) Center filters can actually be a deficit to the final image. I read his when reading about the 110XL and how use of a CF did only harm to their images with 8X10. The writer/s have even gone so far as to say not to use one period.

These are the 4 primary things I can recall through all my readings. My question for the group is a simple one. It can involve answering these questions/statements. But one thing I would be most interested in is this:

1) What lenses "in particular" do you find a need for a CF? I am interested in 5X7 and larger formats, but this is not necessary for this thread as I am most interested in personal use whether it be 4X5 or the larger than smallest format of LF photography.

2) What lenses are "known" to need/require a CF in the Large Format world?

3) Is there a certain trend by manufacturer per need of CF OR is it a lens by lens situation. In other words, is a Rodenstock lens one that most always need a CF, but the Nikkors do not (all hypothetical with relation to brand a/b/c/d).

I believe this is all my mind can come to at this time. I'll leave it up to the group from here.

Thanks everyone for your contributions!!!