After reveiwing this sites Q&A from Andre Noble (Oct 10) and Simon Rodan (Sept 2 ) I have a very similar issue, but have already addressed some of the responses posted without luck. Here goes...

BASICS: Film is HP5, Ilford RC paper, Dektol dev.(90sec) Indicator stop (30sec) , and Kodak fixer(120sec). All temps were 68 F. Filtration (Durst max. 130, dic hroic) was set at Filter Grades 2,3,4, and 5 per Ilfords data for said type of enlarger (using both Y & M settings to maintain consistency in exposure times, w hich I will state below worked seemed to work for test strips). Head was set fo r 5x7 print. F stop 5.6, (8 takes way too long for basic exp.)

METHODOLOGY: I started with test strips, exposing a "blank" negative (exposed w ith the cap on for max. density). Grades 2 & 3 were exposed and processed, then 4 & 5 under the "same" conditions. Grade #'s 2 & 3 came out very well achievin g black in 8 exposures for 8 sec each (does that seem like a long exposure??). There seemed to be an "appropriate" contrast gradation between the two as well. However, in comparing Grades 4 & 5 (also max. black in 8 sec. by 8 exp) I notic ed the lighter greys were not what I expected in a higher contrast strip, that b eing darker with the increases. In fact the first step on Grade 5 was lighter t han 4. **Had I not separated exposures between 2,3 & 4,5 I too would have tho ught this was a bulb heating/cooling issue as addressed in prior Q/A.**

RESULTS: I decided to run "full size" prints (5x7) using a neg. I know to have a good contrast range (the same neg. used in a darkroom class) at Grades 2 and 5 - running lean on paper at the time. The G2 print came out great, with a full range of tones, max. black, etc... G5 was another story, in part foreshadowed by the test strip. First, the contrast was not there. But MUCH more noticeable a nd vexing was that I had nothing CLOSE to max. black (and therefore unable to re ally evaluate the contrast ranges). Regardless of the contrast, shouldn't I at least get close to a max. black (per the test strip)? ***Again, would the size of the paper in the chemicals make that much difference?*** I understand that t he light "intensity" is different based on the filter setting, but wouldn't the test strip have reflected any necessary exposure changes for max. black? If the re is some type of paper or filter reciprocity at work here, why the differences between my "blank" neg. strips and 5x7 prints to achieve black (or even somethi ng close for that matter). I am hoping to set some BASIC exposure values for pri nting from a "normal" contrast negative as to avoid running test strips for ever y print I make (understanding of course that I will need to fine tune anyway). * **I'm not close to ready to estimate like Michael and Paula*** Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.