After many years of having my film developed by labs, I finally decided I had the time to try my own B&W and E-6 processing. Last month I found a great deal on a new CPP-2 with lift for a price I could not refuse.

I took some Medium Format 120 test shots along with ten 8x10 and ten 4x10 shots. I decided to try Bergger 200 mainly because they sell boxes of 4x10 already cut so that made it easy. I had heard that it was a good B&W film. I wanted to try B&W processing before getting into any E-6.

I bought two Jobo 3005 drums for 8x10/4x10 and one Jobo 2563 drum for 120. I was surprised at the cost of the drums, expensive!After seeing how the they work it must be tough to mold them. I went with Kodak D76 and tried to keep it simple. Followed Bergger's recommendations along with Kodak and Jobo. Actually, as most of you know B&W is a pretty simple process, but for a new guy it seemed big.

The results were 4 rolls of 120, 10 sheets of 8x10 and the format I was most concerned about 4x10 in the 3005 drum all came out perfectly. I was concerned about the 4x10 sheets moving during rotation but they all stayed in place and developed perfectly. I do like the look of the Bergger film.

It was very exciting to see the finished negatives!

Next month I am off to Yosemite and as always I will just shoot B&W there. E-6 will come in the future but for now B&W has become much more fun to shoot.

Scott
www.scottsquires.com