Ahhh......
I now see where the confusion exists.

When you scan your B&W negs as color you are working in COLOR not greyscale. So you do indeed want to apply color management so that later when you tone your photo that lovely olive you can be sure that your prints will match your lovely olive toning you saw on screen.

The thread referenced in your original post in this thread was a question about scanning B&W as greyscale and then wandered off the subject into color profiles.

So here goes:
When you scan a piece of film as color (or colorize in PS) then color management could apply. If your scanner embeds a profile into the scan than thats what governs its color.

When you are working in greyscale, color management does not apply. There are settings carried by the greyscale file about dot gain and gamma but there is no profile in greyscale. No color=no color profile.

When scanning color negatives and the file is transferred into PS it will either have a profile that your scanning software put in it or it will have none. In the later case, you can embed a profile when you save. You can choose something else but, if for instance, you are using Adobe98 as a working space, it'd be what shows up as first choice when you go to save the file and it'd be a good choice to embed.

The only time I can see a reason to embed a printer color profile when saving a file is if you didn't think the printer you were sending to couldn't handle converting the file's profile. Really I don't think there'd ever be a reason to do this.

If you want to read up on all this stuff for free and get excellent, correct advice go to www.digitaldog.net/ there is loads of good info there. Click on "tips" to get to the articles. Andrew Rodney knows what he's writing about.