Thread: Selecting Paper

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Foamer

Selecting Paper

I'm getting a simple enlarger to make 8x10 and maybe 5x7 contacts. I've only had one afternoon experience in a local university's darkroom so far (as "guest artist") and have no real experience yet. I'm reading up on the internet and slowly figuring out what I need, and more importantly what my goals are. At the moment I'm considering printing paper. I've only been using student grade resin coated fiber paper so far. My intention is to make archival prints. I really like the look of fine art prints. I don't see me making big quantities of prints and am aiming for high quality. I also like a warm look. (I've been doing wet plate for the past four years.) Subjects will be a few environmental type portraits but mostly random stuff I find poking around rural areas. (see below.) The paper must not be difficult to work with since I'm inexperienced. I'm am starting with standard silver gelatin prints but hope to learn Van Dyke, platinum, and albumin printing.

I've been reading up on paper and it looks like a high quality cotton rag with warm tone is what I'm after? Is there a website that shows samples of prints made with different papers? That's what I think I need at this point. I've been developing my own film (roll film and sheet up to 8x10) for six years and am "competent" at that. I have on hand HC-110, rapid fixer, and Photographers Formulary TF-5 but am open to other chemicals.
    Tin type that I like the look of:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HetlandSchWPm.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!