Thread: Digital Proof Sheets for 5x4 and medium format nagative film?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Digital Proof Sheets for 5x4 and medium format nagative film?

Hope this is the right sub forum, or the mods can move it if not.

I'm trying to streamline my workflow, primarily with medium format, but also 5x4, when it comes to black and white and colour negative shoots. Remember when we used to get proof sheets when you'd develop a roll or 10 of film and they'd do a quick contact sheet so you could see at a glance which ones you wanted to further explore and perhaps print? That doesn't seem to happen anymore, or they want $15-20 to scan each roll on top of developing, which adds up quickly when I shoot a few bricks or more on a trip.

Up to now I've had my son use his DSLR to photograph each frame on a light table, but it takes a lot of time and is unwieldy. The obvious next step to me is to cut the neg strips and put them in clear storage sleeves, then photograph each sleeve as a whole on the light table, possibly with a piece of plexiglass or glass on top to keep it flat. Same with 5x4, 4 shots in each sleeve.

Before I go there, I wanted to ask what others are doing to create quick, low res proof sheets to review their shots. There may be other ways I haven't considered. I don't currently have a scanner, sold the Cannon 9950F I had when I moved to the US, but still have my VueScan license and could consider picking up a new scanner if that's an easier/better way. Just want to get this set up so that it's quick and effective, and allows me to get an overview of everything from different shoots and help inform me as to which shots are worth following up with an actual high res (optical or digital) print.

I do not have a darkroom anymore (sold my DeVere 504 colour enlarger when I moved to the USA, along with all the related gear, but did keep my developing kit), nor do I have access to one, otherwise I would consider doing actual proof sheets that way. (As a tangent, does anyone know of labs in the Los Angeles area that allow people to rent time or come in and spend an hour here and there for things like this?)

Thanks for any suggestions and ideas you can share!
    Last edited by 6x6TLL; 10-Feb-2024 at 17:29.