Hey everyone,

I've been actively researching various scanner models including the v700, v750, v800, and v850. As a current v600 user and someone who's refurbishing an Expression 10000XL, I'm in need of a scanner that offers a Dmax rating of 4.0, ideally for scanning areas up to 8.5 x 11 inches. Similar queries were raised in older threads, such as this 2018 discussion, but I'm seeking updated insights.

My role volunteering at the Internet Archive involves scanning reflective materials in high-resolution for archival quality (or 'good enough' where budgets fall short) digital surrogates. Transparency scanning isn't a requirement or concern, as I don't have any and won't be scanning film or negatives, regardless.

After investing significantly in the 10000XL, I'm leaning towards acquiring a used v700 or v750 from eBay. I'm aware of the differences between the v7xx and v8xx series, primarily in their illumination sources. Also, the v850 is noted for its superior optical coatings and brighter mirror, but the v8xx series doesn't seem to offer significant improvements over each other, except for the bundled software and film holders.

I currently use SilverFast Ai Studio 9 + HDR Studio with their latest IT8 Target (ISO 12641-2 compliant 2019).

Given my limited budget and the voluntary nature of my work at the Internet Archive, I'm debating whether the v8xx models are worth the investment, or if the v750 represents a sufficient compromise. If resources weren't a concern, I'd shoot for options like Zeutschel or Phase One's cultural imaging hardware. e.g., a pipe dream, one can wish!

Since it's been 3-4 years since this was talked about in depth on here, any advice or experiences with v7xx/v8xx series are welcome!

Thank you,
Nick aka Archivist_Goals