Thread: Some questions about diy 4x5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Some questions about diy 4x5

As I said over in the introductions forum, I am currently in the process of drawing up some plans for a diy 4x5 camera. There are still quite a few things I don't know about the design portion.

A little bit more about the design I am working on. (plans attached) I am going for a more boxy design, mainly so I don't have to taper my bellows. I am also hoping to make it quite symmetrical, so the front and rear frame can be interchanged. Also instead of folding up, I hope to make it able to be taken apart easily. I am going for a rack and pinon system over a monorail. However with how I am building it, it could likely be easily converted to a monorail. It is not shown in the plans, I hope to use dovetails for joining the frames together. I do have a few concerns about the design.

One of my concerns is about the back. Would 1/8in be thick enough or would I have to go for 1/4in? Another concern is about the bellows. How long should they be made? How long does that translate out to when flat? Also talking about bellows, is it possible to double up on the inner liner? How would that be joined if so?

This is still a work in progress, that is still going through changes. I will be learning a lot as I go on and make this, both about photography and woodworking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x5_plans_8_14_23-1.jpg   4x5_plans_8_14_23-2.jpg