Thread: Red Bulb for Nuarc Safelight?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Red Bulb for Nuarc Safelight?

Having been in the printing business all my life, I've become enamoured with the Nuarc Safelights as pictured. But they were made for litho film, which was highly tolerant of most any kind of red light. No matter how bright, the film was comletely blind to it. Litho film was extreme high contrast. Dense as sheet metal. It was either black or pinholes. There was no middle ground. In the later years before computers took over, it was increasingly difficult to find litho film. They had switched to rapid access film, which was less dense. The Nuarc lights seemed to work as long as you didn't blast the room out with them. That was just a recollection. Anyway, I still believe the Nucarcs are good lights adaptable to photography if you put the right bulb in them. No more 15 and 25 watt incandescents like originally. But certainly there are red LED bulbs nowadays you can put in them and have a GREAT safelight for any kind of paper. I don't want to hear any talk about how red lighting is hard to see by compared to amber. Red lights worked excellent in submarines and darkrooms for years. But I understand that there are red LED's that are terrible for print paper and some are good. I have Lowes and Home Depot in the vicinity. What LED bulb would work well standalone, and even better in the Nuarc fixture? Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nuarc.jpg