Hello all, I was wondering if you could help me. I currently have two very good tripod/head options that are unfortunately not working perfectly for me. I currently shoot LF with a Chamonix 810V and an Ebony SV45Ti. When I first got the Chamonix I was having issues with vibration and camera movement. My setup at the time was the RRS BH55 and TVC33 legs. They had served me well for fifteen years and continue to do so for my smaller cameras. The problem was that the quick release plate allowed for too much flex in the camera body. The head itself would be solid, but since the contact point between the clamp and the camera was quite small, the camera was not as steady as I would like, particularly in the Icelandic wind.

At the advice of the members, I switched to a wooden Ries tripod and head, and I cannot argue that they are much more stable. They really are. Still, the leg system and camera mounting is slow to work with and I find I struggle a bit with the knobs being quite rough on the hands (I know this sounds like a minor thing, but struggling with ice cold, somewhat sharp aluminum knobs in the Icelandic weather is not fun, particularly as it is awkward to get under the camera with gloves on). The weight and size of the tripod is also fine for near the car, but a real struggle to walk with. I know that 8x10 is always a trade off, but I was wondering if there was a good platform or geared head that does not use a quick release system that could fit on the TVC 33 that might allow me to have something that is easier and quicker to setup and mount the camera. Something like the Arca Swiss cube looks great in theory, but I know from experience that the quick release attachment point will be the weak point in my system. Does anyone have any ideas? In the meantime I will probably try the Ries head on the TVC 33 again, but I would like to know other options if people have them.

Thank you!