I never fought fires professionally. Back then, every able body was expected to pitch in some manner. That was called survival, just like community controls burns themselves, before those got outlawed due to air quality issues. But we had a boarder who carried a camera with him on the helicopters which dropped him onto the fire line. All his shots I ever saw were from the air, so he probably left the camera behind on the chopper. The work on the ground was too intense anyway for any kind of distracting effort.

I'm personally sensitized to forest fire smoke after all I've been through, so am not likely to try any journalistic approach to photographing them. I go back afterwards for the incredible sheens, hues, and patterns, and yes, the sad and surrealistic of what fires do too. It's strange seeing the smoking remains of the tiny country store right uphill from where I grew up shown on newscasts all over the world; but that was one of the few accessible points they'd allow the press or civic officials (including the Governor and current Vice President) even a brief look. Everything past that is Armageddon. But the vegetation is genetically engineered to start back up after fire. Some species like Sugar Pine are not likely to do well, however, due to significant climate warming with its ecosystem desiccation.