Thread: Scanning 4x5: Buying an Epson Flatbed VS my current DSLR (5DII) VS Lab Scans

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Scanning 4x5: Buying an Epson Flatbed VS my current DSLR (5DII) VS Lab Scans

I am struggling with deciding on a scanning option for 4x5 film. I am considering the following 3 options...

1) Buy a flatbed -- probably an Epson V750 or whatever.
    Pros = straight forward process. You buy the scanner, insert the film, done. Quality is probably going to be the best of the 3 options (?)
    Cons = Up front $ cost.

2) Use my current Canon 5D II DSLR and set up a scanning station.
    Pros = I already have the DSLR, so it should be the most affordable option. Fewest barriers to entry.
    Cons = Quality (?) and start-up time/effort needed to set up the station and learn the process. Do I need a macro lens, a light table, what else do I not know about?

3) Just have the lab that processes my negatives do the scanning for me at $5.00 per sheet.
    Pros = Easy!
    Cons = no control over scanner settings, price adds up over time, quality is probably lowest of the 3...

I am on a $ and time budget (newborn at home, working full-time, and studying for masters degree) -- so I REALLY want something that saves me time and money. I don't mind doing a bit of extra work to learn how to do it correctly in order to save time and $ down the road however.

Can anyone share their take on these options?

EDIT: I should have mentioned this in my original post (now edited to include): I shoot Portra 160 and 400 in 4x5 only. I mainly want to scan in order to have some high quality images to display on a website and to print proof prints using 8x10 paper (print will be smaller than 8x10 to leave some white around the edges). (Note: I shoot BW as well but prefer the 35mm look for BW film).
    Last edited by Wista45SP; 18-Dec-2019 at 14:34.