I just returned from 8 days in Death Valley. It was stormy all week and it paid off with beautiful storm clouds to work with. I took my Toyo 4X5 and a new Canon 5D digital camera. My plan was to compare the two. The Canon 5D is a full frame 35mm 12 MP digital camera. I setup the 5D next to my 4X5 on two seperate tripods and Photographed with both in the same time frame, same picture. I reviewed the 5D Images each night. I had some beautifull Images and the camera did great. Yesterday I picked up the 4X5 transparencies and as usual the effort to use the 4X5 paid off. Looking at those beautiful 4X5 transparencies on a light table could never be replaced by a digital camera.

One thing I did discover was how good the Canon 5D meter is. I shot the 4X5 using my 1 degree spot meter as usual and shot a couple days using the 5D meter for my 4X5 shots. I must admit the 5D was a little better than I am with the spot meter. I was surprised it was that good or I was not as good.

It was fun to shoot with both cameras. I was able to see what I was going to get from the 4X5 with the digital Images and it was really fun to see what the 4X5's were going to look like. I usually carrry 4 lenses with my 4X5 and will now carry three lenses and the 5D. The Gitzo 1228 for the 5D is light weight and I can carry it on my backpack and just throw my Ries tripod over my shoulder. The combo of the two cameras has actually given me a lift in using my 4X5 and that is a good thing.

Scott Squires