Thread: Want to pick up LF again: Film suggestion for 4x5" and/or suitable developer for HP5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Want to pick up LF again: Film suggestion for 4x5" and/or suitable developer for

Yes, Luis is right (for me)!!

HC-110 in dilutions B, G, and H gives me flexibility here in New Mexico, which gets hot in the summer, 100F+ or 38C+ on really bad days, and since I live in a very small space, with tap water (for temperature control) sometimes pretty warm.

HC-110 makes mixing easy; I use a 25-ml graduate to go from concentrate to actual developer (B, G, H); I do not make intermediate stock solutions. Advice that I received, I pass on: When closing the HC-110 concentrate bottle, squeeze out some air, BUT be sure to use a plastic bag or equivalent atop the mouth of the bottle and then screw the cap down tightly. (If you don't use a thin-film plastic, the bottle will take in air. Why? Ask Kodak/Alaris.)

I mix developers in 1,000ml batches in $10 Nalgene bottles graduated in milliliters--which marks I check--because I use ~<500ml for development of 4-4x5 sheets in my SP-445 from Stearman Press LLC. This works in my limited space--only one closet dark enough to load film holders and the SP-445; the processing can be done in the kitchen under normal light once the 4 sheets are loaded into the SP-445. Worth every penny!

Film? I settled on HP5+ because of (1) cost and (2) reasonably assured future supply. I can't comment on HP5+ and other films.
    Last edited by Peter Collins; 9-Oct-2018 at 12:27. Reason: Greater clarity--my fond hope!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."