Thread: Focus Calibration on Crown Graphic Special

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Focus Calibration on Crown Graphic Special

Hi All! New user - fist post. I recently bought a beautiful Crown Graphic Special (SN#934971) with a 135mm Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar f/4.7 lens. I am planning on trying it out this Friday but would like to confirm my focus will be accurate before I go and shoot/process a bunch of film. I set it up on a tripod last night just to get a feel for things. What I found was that the "correct" focus point via the (top mount) rangefinder was different than the focus point determined when using the ground glass. I had a look at the RF mechanism to see if the proper cam was installed but couldn't see and stamped numbers on the cam. I have no reason to suspect it was changed out but wanted to check anyway. I then moved onto the GG and found that it had the ground glass with a Fresnel in front. These were both installed correctly. From what I have read online, it seems like all CG Special versions came from the factory with a Fresnel installed. I would like to confirm this somehow. I read that the height of the "bosses" would be a good indicator but I don't know what a boss is. The stacked GG and Fresnel sit just a bit higher than the two small rectangular pieces which sit on each side of the glass. These two pieces would be the same ones which the metal retainer clips screw into. The stacked GG and Fresnel sit flush with the four raised corner "posts" in the outer corners of the general opening. I hope this makes sense. If the Fresnel was never supposed to be there, I will just remove it. I could shoot some test shots but would prefer to not waste any film... Any help would be appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180515_202239.jpg   20180515_202258.jpg