Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
8x10 also has a very limited depth of field, especially with long lenses, which can significantly limit your choice of subjects. So with all these challenges, do you think you really need something as large as 8x10, or can you succeed with a smaller format? I got good results shooting 4x5 with Fuji 450C and 600C lenses, the Nikon 360/500/720 troika is also a worthy solution, although the 720mm configuration is reportedly a bit soft. 5x7 can also be a good compromise if you don't mind group ordering color neg film from Keith Canham or cutting down 8x10 chrome (5x7 B&W is more readily available).
Sorry for the delay in replying just got back from a trip overseas. I will look into the 4x5 option with the lenses you mentioned.

Pere Casals, I already shoot digital and have a 70-200mm and 100-400 with extender. And a FujiGX617 with 300mm. What I'm looking for is the best way to shoot very long focal lengths. From what I've picked up from all the comments I probably need to look into the smaller formats, just after using my 6x17 I don't feel like I can get enough distance.

I'm new to the large format arena, but I'm basically trying to fine a way to get the longest distances I can get. Does anyone have some recommendations as to which format and lenses can achieve that? And is it at all possible to use large format lenses on smaller format cameras? Like the 1200mm Nikkor I mentioned on say a 4x5?

I thank you all for your amazing input!