In search of that particular lens or piece of kit, I'm sure almost everyone ventures onto evil bay or has done so in the past. Now with the spin-off of payP, things have gotten worse than ever. Besides the fact that payP offers buyer, but no seller protection (blocked payments on defective or never received items that were fine and signed for on delivery, switches and returns, etc), rates have quietly been increased (again). We're now looking at the auction fee (8%) plus payP fee (3.5%) and the greedy hands on the exchange rate (a further 3.5%) on top of which the seller pays the payP commission too. This combined puts rates above those of many conventional auction houses, even if only looking at the buy side... And let's not get into customs charges, although these have nothing to do with either of the previously mentioned parties. Traveling and ordering from the EU at times, I just paid EUR 1076 for a winning bid of USD 865 (plus 36 shipping). At todays spot rate, this means a whopping equivalent of USD 1183. Including shipping this is a 32% mark-up. I knew this in advance and am still happy I won as the auction included a few lenses I really wanted. However, the difference is exorbitant! We can buy and sell on the forum, which is great, but are there any alternatives? And if not, is it not about time to have one? Interested in your views and suggestions.