Hello All,

With the help of you I got the FT5500 fully up and running. I maxed the G4 (933MHz) to 1.5 GByte RAM / Sonnet SATA PCI Card + SSD / Belkin USB2 for ColorMunki and installed Leopard 10.5.8. I can confirm that as long as you don't open any other programms than ColorGenius, it's a practical and stable system (TimeMachine and result images straight to NAS via AFP). So, yes migration from OS9 to OS X Leopard in terms of network integration was a big step.

As always there are some tar pits I stumbled over - it maybe of use for somebody ...

1. When I installed ColorGenius 2.13 under OS X 10.4 and run the server app the whole system froze and a grey system screen appeared stating that the system had to be restarted. Since I could reproduce this freeze (even when using the maintainer) I checked the messages (see below) and found under panic.log that there was an issue with the SCSI card - BUT WAIT: it said SCSI(Adaptec78XX) !!! So the system used the wrong driver. Going to Adaptecs web site and downloading/installing the correct 2930CU driver fixed the issue. As sonn as Leopard was installed I immediately installed this driver here as well - no issues so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panic_Log_SCSI.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	134224

2. After connecting and scanning some slides I decided to clean the device / table. I also cleaned the lamps (a lot of dust settled there as well) but did not insert the lamp in the correct position. As a result the driver presented me an unspecified 1006 error saying that there was a communication error with the device. Since reflective scans run ok I knew that there was somthing wrong with the transparency lamp. Opening the lamp cover and switching on the device (front cover closed) confirmed the feeling: the lamp did not flash on. Setting the bulb to its correct position did the trick.

Name:	FT5500_SCSI_5509.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	134225

3. When scanning dark slides and using adapted ICC profiles for shadow optimization I experienced blooming almost 1 - 2 cm into the image. Therefore I cut my own masks for all kinds of formats. Here in Germany there is an art store (boesner) where I bought a heavy weighted paper with one side white and the opposite with glossy black surface, which eases the mounting with tesa 4104 tape (the same I use for drum scanning). It works quite well but for flatness I consider to add another (metal?) mask to flatten the sandwich.

Name:	Maske.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	134226

So far I'm very amazed, what you can achive with this device. I'll follow up when I scanned some Velvias and Ektachromes ....

Cheers,
Stefan