The Oregon State Fair opens today and I highly recommend anyone who attends to check out the photography exhibit in the Cascade Hall (south end of the exhibit area near the L.B. Day Amplitheater). The exhibit includes several categories including the Oregon Salon of Photography, the International Salon of Photography, the Youth Division and the Best of the County Fairs.

From 1990 - 1996, I entered the Oregon Salon and this year I was asked back to be a judge. While both the Oregon Salon (open to Oregon residents) and the International Salon Open to anyone) are technically competitions (with awards presented for the top photographs), the resulting show is more like a juried exhibit with many photographs on display - not just the award winners.

In addition, the Photographic Image Gallery is sponsoring an exhibit called The Oregon Collection that features black and white images of Oregon - including photographs by Ray Atkeson, Stu Levy, Phil Bard and several others. As a judge, three of my prints will also be on display in the exhibit hall.

Oregon has a long history of supporting photography and producing some outstanding photographers. The Oregon Salon and International Salon are great venues for both photographers to display their work and the public to view and wide variety of excellent photography. The folks that run the exhibit are wonderful to work with and really support photography in Oregon. In the past, I really enjoyed entering the Oregon Salon and judging this year was also a wonderful experience.

The Oregon State Fair starts today and runs through September 5. The awards presentation for the Oregon Salon is tonight (August 26) at 7:00pm. Stop by if you get a chance. Even if you can't attend the awards ceremony (a great opportunity to meet the award winners, judges, Salon director and other fair personel as well as other photographers), stop by the exhibit hall anytime the fair is open. It's a wonderful chance to see some outstanding photography.

Kerry

P.S. I have always been impressed with the classy way the Oregon Salon and International Salon operate and the resulting exhibition. I'm curious if other state fairs have similar photography exhibits. If anyone has participated in their local state fair photography program, please feel free to share your observations (pro and con) on the experience.