Hello,

I am assembling my first 4x5 kit, and I just bought a manfrotto 055 tripod. It's great except for one thing - there's some play where the tripod mounting plate connects to the center column. This is annoying as it lets the lets the tripod head & camera rotate fairly easily when force is applied to the pan/tilt handles.
The first picture shows where it's rotating if you can't picture it.
I could just glue it in place, but I feel like there's a way to tighten. Looking down the upside-down center column (2nd picture) I can see that there's a nut attached to a bolt, then a plate or washer (sorry, I'm not very mechanically literate). If I can find a long enough socket would tightening that nut have any effect? Or is there another way to do it (it would have to be a damn long socket, not one you can find in your standard set)?

My other alternative would be to do away with the center column entirely and replace it with a 3/8 bolt and washer, but I'd like to keep the center column for small adjustments.

Thanks for your help!

Theo

PS Good thing I also bought a tiltall - it's one of the Star-D ones but looks/feels exactly the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	055 1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	114274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	055 2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	114275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	055 3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	114276