Thread: Sink-level ventilation

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sink-level ventilation

I am reconfiguring my darkroom and am considering options for sink-level ventilation for a 6-foot sink. Can anyone tell me if these pvc pipes which are connected to the exhaust at one end, and sealed at another, with a series of holes drilled through along it, actually work? Wouldn't there be no real suction left at the end opposite to the fan? http://myphotographydarkroom.blogspo...-air-vent.html (not mine, just randomly found image to use as an example)

The traditional solution for sinks that are pressed against the wall is to have a vent pipe run vertically down the center of the wall behind the sink, and attach it to a cowl/hood that spreads over the sink. In my case though, I can only vent to the right side of the sink and I'd rather keep the wall behind the sink clear of any pipes and tubes etc. so I am considering running a vent pipe over the back edge of the sink and out the side, as seen in the image above. I'm concerned though that the suction would not be even.

And more importantly, wouldn't it be better to have "point source" ventilation, like a 4" flexible wood-shop dust collector hose that can be pointed at specific areas/trays for removing the gases, rather than a broad ventilation over the entire 6' sink?
    Last edited by cyrus; 25-Mar-2014 at 19:35.