Hi all!

Last year I bought a Linhof TK 45S from a member of this forum. It came with a "Maxwell HI-LUX Ultra Brilliant Matte 4.7" installed as a replacement for the original Linhof ground glass.

Now I am trying to find the right loupe setup for this camera and me. That includes focusing the loupe.

The usual advice is to focus on the grain of the frosted side of the ground glass. Now with the Maxwell I found that quite difficult. AFAIK there is no real grain on the focus side.
I thought an alternative focus target might be the grid, should it indeed be located on the focus side. There is however conflicting information. Here in the forum Rick Denney describes in a great post from 2009 that the grid is printed onto the protective glass sitting on top (at the photographer's side). The piece of paper that was accompanying the Maxwell screen says however that the grid (if one is ordered) is on the focus side of the actual ground glass.

To me it looks more like it is etched on the focus side of the GG but I cannot say for sure. I could probably feel it with my fingers, but that is out of the question

Could anyone say with certainty where the grid actually is, or if this has changed over time?

If the grid is on the matte side of the GG I could use it to focus my loupe, right?

I am also interested in hearing just how people perceive the "grain" of this ground glass, what exactly do you see that you can focus on?
All I can see is a very small pattern resembling the frozen surface of a puddle, not the typical needle like crystalline surfaces, but the more irregular round lines one can sometimes see. Plus some scattered tiny tiny specks. Would one or the other be the "grain"? I find it pretty hard to focus on that, the grid lines would be more convenient

Thanks a lot for your input.