I've been pondering about these really expensive sliding backs that have both a focusing screen and an adapter that holds a digital back. When photographing, one slides back and forth between the screen and the back. They sell for upwards of $1800. One advantage over less expensive adapters that hold only the Digital back is that they protect the image sensor and help prevent dust from landing on the sensor. But even then, the image sensor can become vulnerable to damage, when the back is removed to change orientation. (Vert/Hori.)

Wouldn't it be much less expensive and more functional just to incorporate a darkslide into adapters that only hold the digital back??? With such a setup, at no time would the digital back be exposed to the environment, even when changing orientation.

I can see where the sliders offer a faster transition between focusing and capturing the image. But for a view camera, I'd say that this is needed for a minority of cases.

Recently, we were looking at what was available in a basic, 4-banger pickup truck, and I discovered that neither Ford nor Chevrolet offer one of these for sale. No, if you want a pickup, it has to be the deluxe model with cruise cab, etc. Well of course, they make a lot more money this way. Why provide for basic needs, when overkill results in a higher profit?

As I said, just pondering.