Thread: Dry Plates (handmade) - Tips & Tricks, Experiences & Examples . . .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dry Plates (handmade) - Tips & Tricks, Experiences & Examples . . .

I would be interested in learning about the production of handmade Dry Plates (or variations). If anyone would like to share their tips & tricks, or post examples of prints created from handmade Dry Plates, please do.

I recently noticed that all of my cameras were designed to be used with Dry Plates. After some years of using standard film, X-ray film, and paper negatives, it was time to try something different and far more challenging. Wet Plate sounds interesting, but at this time I don't want to be tied to coating plates on-the-spot. After a fair amount of web research I ordered some Liquid Light, and last weekend I coated my very first 8x10 plates. I was surprised at the results.

My very first try resulted in the emulsion on both 8x10 plates floating off somewhere between the developer tray and the stop bath tray. I can see now that providing a good substrate for the emulsion is important. With some research I went with Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane, clear/gloss. I cleaned and dried the plates, and sprayed on a thin layer of Polyurethane. After what I thought was ample drying time, I coated the plates with the emulsion. I suspect more drying time was required, as islands of small bubbles appeared in the dried emulsion. I now suspect that the Polyurethane outgassed to create the bubbles. But, I'm learning. Rating the new plates at ASA 1 was just about perfect. And yesterday I coated my first set of six half-plates (4.75x6.5). They are going to spend the next 24 hours in the homemade drying cabinet. I'll post images as they become available.

I would also be interested in learning of ways to apply the emulsion. At this point I have found it necessary to use the old finger to move the emulsion around. I have considered using a brush, but hairs in the emulsion would be a concern.

Dann
    Last edited by Ralph Barker; 30-Aug-2013 at 12:28.