If you are following my giant Levy Process camera conversion to bigger and heavier things, you know my current Semi-Centennial and Table-Top stands can't carry it.

I happen to have 2 Arkay Monopole studio stands and I keep pushing them around, but one of them is not strong enough either. Suffice to say, they are made of cast iron base, a thin steel pipe and as I found out, an aluminum arm. Why old makers of good shit, save weight there? I cracked the aluminum at the pinch clamp, but I can work around it and return it to full function. I was not happy, I dislike breaking anything, especially with a short wrench.

I can babble on, but the picture shows the story. I pushed them together and consider the geometry is not that different than the Semi-Centennial right next to it.

I propose to take off 2 wheels and tightly bolt those parallel leg arms together with 2 beefy through bolts, what could go wrong...

I checked parallel at base and 6 feet and just as they sit, it's very good, my floor is flat and level.

Anyone seen this before? Any advise?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-20130712-DSCN3039-001.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	98708