Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
Curt, the few times I have threaded stainless steel I purchased high speed steel taps and dies. I had no success with non high speed steel. Also Scott Walkers advice on starting the die square echoes my experience. For one project that required 4 inches of thread on 5/16" rod I had to have a friend with a Lathe help me out. I just couldn't get the die started squarely enough be hand.

Btw when are we going to see photographs of you project?

Roger
Hi Roger!

I know about getting the die started. I actually thought I could just do it like brass. Boy was I wrong. The preliminary setup is so important with SS and the lubricant. I used a steel thread cutting lubricant in a tin can like three in one oil. I need to get the right one. I'll go to a screw and bolt company tomorrow.

The reason I didn't get a metal lathe was the length of time it would take to learn thread cutting. There are too many ways to get sidetracked! I do believe in the right tools. It would have to go in the space where my 24" thickness sander is located. Never enough room.

What did Michelangelo Buonarroti say to Pope Julius II when the Pope asked when it would be done? "When I'm finished". Actually I put a photo of some materials and a film holder on Facebook. I've been too busy to hang out there recently. Like Steve Smith said: CAD / CAM, computer router. I'm learning a 3D software and designing the braces, brackets, and other parts in stainless steel. It's taking all my design, materials science, mechanics, machine capabilities, and CAD skills to make it work. At first I had some awful 3D views. I would rotate and a section would be missing or way too long or disconnected completely. I'm back on the learning curve again. It gets easier with practice. .387 actually looks like something now. Holes are void to the proper depth. Empty inside. One design error and a fifty dollar part is four hundred and fifty. It's good for the mind though. This is a lot like construction work. Nothing seems to be getting done then all of a sudden it finished.