Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping insects out of my 8x10

Keeping insects out of my 8x10

Um, Eugene, when using a bug repellent that was 100% DEET I left permanent scars on a plastic Canon point and shoot. I repeat, DEET attacks plastics and must be used with great care around them.

Cheers,

Dan

I second the warning about DEET and anything plastic - which could include your bellows, btw. It dissolved all the labeling off the back of my hand-held flash unit (this was shooting 35mm macro years ago) when it just touched my forehead that I had rubbed with some DEET-containing lotion 2 hours before.

I am not new to taking a camera in my canoe. Everything is stored in waterproof cases (such as a Pelican case) and I have never gotten my equipment wet. I have hauled 35mm SLR gear for literally thousands of kilometres by canoe. Last summer I took my 4x5 about 400km by canoe - but there were few bugs on that trip.

Coincidentially I was reading Ansel Adams book - Examples, the Making of 40 Photographs - last night. In the text for "Mount McKinley and Wonder Lake" Adams touches on both problems - keeping gear dry (use a waterproof case), and mosquitoe silhouettes on his film (no solution offered).

One word solution - Thermacell

http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/

The units are mosquito traps and come in various sizes including a very small one for protecting an individual. I believe that Coleman makes similar units. Here in Florida they are sold in gunshops, bait shops, etc. Since it's not a spray, I don't believe there could be harmful effects for photo equipment, although I don't know for sure. john

I haven't tried it, but a small strip of dark leather dipped in citronella oil laid inside your belows might work. Place it inside after you have opened the camera and it should discourage insects from flying in there while you change lenses and insert your film holder.

It may seem far-out, but for this intense trip maybe you could make a cloth bellows that would hold the repellent and not suffer from it. I recently made a twelve-piece bag bellows and it is not such a big deal.

Always thinking, for better or worse,