Thread: Ventilation for a Colex/Colenta using RA4

Ventilation for a Colex/Colenta using RA4

Hey I'm in the process of establishing an arts space with some of my friends in the Philadelphia area and we're checking out options for ventilation for a paper processor. We're familiar with the day to day operation of the machine, and have enough experience maintaining a set up machine that keeping one running won't be too much of a chore for us to handle.

I've never been responsible for setting up a machine in a space though, and was wondering what sort of direct ventilation would be best for the machine. I've read through several RA4 MDS sheets but that seems to apply more to mixing chemistry than standing chemistry in a processor. Kodak and the Feds recommend, 10-20 room changes an hour, but I think that's something that would be more handled by the spaces hvac then direct ventilation over sinks and equipment.

I've contacted Colex, and look forward to hearing from them soon, but if anyone else could speak from experience or offer suggestions it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    www.sssargent.com

Re: Ventilation for a Colex/Colenta using RA4

I have been using Dye coupler **RA4** machines since 1976 in various labs , small studio, and my personal lab setups. Today I have a 30 inch Sittee set up for RA4 and running every day with just basic lab ventilation.
    Ventilation is important on the loading side so that there is positive pressure pushing the chems away from the loading room otherwise condensation will build on the feed tray and the room would stink.

The Sitte has a exhaust fan right above the dev and blfix tanks and expels the air into our main room.
    We do not have any special ventilation above the machine to take that air away but our main space is well ventilated and the machines do not cause issues.
    For very large machines in confined spaces it is prudent to exhaust from above the machine but you must leave ample room to get your racks in and out.

I am a lab rat and have seen almost every type of machine and every type of configuration and for the machine you are thinking of I would suspect general good lab ventilation would do.
    But remember I am only speaking from my personal experience and your local bylaws may take precedence.

Drew Wiley

Re: Ventilation for a Colex/Colenta using RA4

I'd put in a true fume hood over the thing exiting outside. Of course, this will require a light trap as well. Different people have different degrees of sensitivity to this category of chemisty, and sensitivity
    can increase over time. Bob's luck might have held out so far, but I know my share of lab owners and
    employees who ended up regretting long-term RA4 exposure. I'd never ventilate it into another room, no matter how spacious. And you might even have liability issues if you take shortcuts. Municipal permits or zoning are a different issue.