Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Those Nikor tanks (for 4x5)

Re: Those Nikor tanks (for 4x5)

Nikkor 4x5 tanks have a learning curve. Get it all correct and they work quite well. Get one thing wrong and the Nikkor tank will RUIN your film, likely the entire 12 sheets. The first few times I used a Nikkor, many, many sheets of films were ruined until what needed to be done was figured out.

They must be set properly for the film size with just enough gap between the guides and film, thumb screws tight, film loaded completely into the spool, band properly installed and the correct amount of solution. Oh, one more thing, the emulsion side faced away from the center spiral band or that band can do really bad things to the emulsion side of the film during processing.

Once all is well, Nikkor tanks work fine.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    What is overrated? The tanks? Are they not good?

I just bought one in the last few weeks and so far it's been precisely the solution I need. I don't have a darkroom right now and have no practical way to create one in the foreseeable future, so processing 4x5 is a challenge. I've done about six batches of film in mine now and have had excellent results all around. I have not yet tried all of my film/developer combinations, nor have I developed any stuff that would really show any kind of uneven development, but no problems so far loading or with kinking, scratching, etc.

They are, unfortunately, priced high these days. I got mine as part of a lot of 7 assorted tanks and some reels and paid for the lot what the 4x5 setups are going for, so I lucked out. Once I sell off the other tanks I don't need, I'll have recouped half my cost. Deals do happen.

Glad to have read this thread. I have a Nikor 4x5 tank that I have yet to use, and was worried about the negative internet buzz. But seems that overall, these tanks are a good item, if used properly. Seems a lot more appealing than spending 20 minutes in total darkness over trays slopping negatives.

As Bernice said, they indeed have a learning curve.
    Perfect height adjustment and lots of daylight / eyes closed loading practice is the key. They're pure joy to use after you have befriended them.

Frankly, the taco method works just fine and spending all this money on the 4x5 Nikkor tank is just silly. but that's just me

joseph

Exclamation Re: Those Nikor tanks (for 4x5)

Taco method? Seems like an awful lot of money to spend on rubber bands, what's wrong with shuffling film in trays?

Although, if you searched for a Nikkor tank and found something, it might end up costing less than you expected.

Since I already have one, I use it, and don't have to feel silly about going out and buying one. I suppose it means I can develop 12 sheets in a liter of chemistry without feeling any extra silliness either, and since my lid fits perfectly, it's a very elegant solution to the sheet film developing problem.

Seems like some of the bad stuff that's written about this tank on the internet is written by those who have no intention of even trying it.

Btw, I've tried the rubber bands too, and that works. However, the Nikor is better, even if the price is too high.

We have some hardcore rubberbandits over here, who have applied the same logic to the price of cars...
    NSFW, in some jobs...

http://youtu.be/ljPFZrRD3J8

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    Taco method? Seems like an awful lot of money to spend on rubber bands, what's wrong with shuffling film in trays?

Although, if you searched for a Nikkor tank and found something, it might end up costing less than you expected.

Since I already have one, I use it, and don't have to feel silly about going out and buying one. I suppose it means I can develop 12 sheets in a liter of chemistry without feeling any extra silliness either, and since my lid fits perfectly, it's a very elegant solution to the sheet film developing problem.

Seems like some of the bad stuff that's written about this tank on the internet is written by those who have no intention of even trying it.

Btw, I've tried the rubber bands too, and that works. However, the Nikor is better, even if the price is too high.

We have some hardcore rubberbandits over here, who have applied the same logic to the price of cars...
    NSFW, in some jobs...

http://youtu.be/ljPFZrRD3J8
    I use the rubber bands on the Nikor tank, my inserts came without the SS band.
    Michael Cienfuegos

joseph

How does the rubber band work out for you on the Nikor? I've never tried it, but it seems as if it could be a lot more gentle than having to attach that spring steel strip-

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    How does the rubber band work out for you on the Nikor? I've never tried it, but it seems as if it could be a lot more gentle than having to attach that spring steel strip-
    I use a large rubber band, one that i don't have to put much stretch into. i haven't had any problems with the rubber band.
    Michael Cienfuegos

Rubber band works fine.

Yes, they sell for $150-250 typically. Look at all those spot welds, and you'll see why. I once asked Hewes about manufacturing a modern one, and they said "Get a Jobo." It would be much more expensive to produce that reel today, and demand would be much less.

I have two tanks so I can leave one reel set for 4x5", one for 2x3", or set them both for the same format, if I have a lot of film to process. If you hunt here and on apug.org, you can find the instruction sheet, which explains all the tricks that I learned by trial and error. I've posted it on APUG at least once, and I know someone's posted it here as well, and I think someone else posted it on APUG again in another format. Reading the instructions will save you a lot of trouble.