Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large format camera for an instructor

Scott Davis

Large format camera for an instructor

I'm going to be offering a class on shooting with large format cameras and for obvious reasons, 4x5 will be the preferred camera size for the class. I'm on the horns of a dilemma - I don't shoot 4x5 any more for myself, mostly working with bigger (sometimes MUCH bigger) cameras (5x7, 5x12, 6.5x8.5, and 14x17). I no longer have a 4x5 camera of either field or monorail variety, and so I'm thinking about getting one I can use for teaching with. I think for instructional purposes, a monorail would make sense especially if I want to demonstrate movements in a tabletop situation. My question is, do I go for something classic, like a Sinar Norma or an F/F2, or do I go with something a bit more high-spec like a Cambo Master or Horseman that has yaw-free axis tilts? What about a Cambo SF45? Anyone ever use one of those? I'm trying to keep this on a budget (under $500) or I'd just resolve my issue and get a Sinar P2. I know what I'd like for personal use, but I want something that will be easy to use for students (mostly adult learners, so nobody will be abusing the camera) and flexible enough to support most student interests. Any feedback is welcome, and cameras not on this list will be received with an open mind.

Re: Large format camera for an instructor

last rail 4x5 I had was a Horseman L camera.. it was easy to mess with and left me impressed, and they are cheap enough now that a student could pick one up after the class is over and not have to re-fi the house

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The Toyo monorails seem to go cheap, and are excellent modern studio 4x5's, well built with lots of movements.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I picked up a Toyo 45CX monorail a few months ago as my introduction to large format. As a beginner it has been a great camera and has pretty much anything I could want: full movements, geared fine focusing and easy to switch between horizontal/vertical back. It retails brand new for less than $800 so used it should be quite affordable. (I got mine for much, much less)

The only thing I don't like about it is, obviously, that its a monorail and clunky to drag around outdoors, although that hasn't stopped me.

Scott Davis

I'm not crazy about the Toyo monorails, at least the less expensive ones, and perhaps it's an irrational thing, but I remember looking at a Toyo 45CX when they first came out as a budget monorail, and the plastic of the standard mounting boxes was so sharp-edged that I actually cut my hand trying to adjust it (someone else playing with the demo model in the store had over-tightened a focusing lock knob and it required enough force to loosen it that my hand slipped and Bang!).

Scott--You're welcome to borrow a 4x5 from me if you like. I have an F2 that would do the trick.

I like to keep things simple and on that basis suggest a simple Calumet 4x5 rail.

But I suppose if you are focusing in on table top instruction, then Yaw-free might be the way to go, but it certainly increases the number of knobs!

I've got to second the Calumet C-400 series. Dirt cheap and about the only thing it doesn't do is have an interchangeable bellows.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I'd go with a sinar F2. It's available, easily repaired and added onto, and they're everything you could ever want in a studio camera.

For cheap I'd go with a Calumet 400 or Graphic View II---both are ultra basic & easy for students to understand--and should work just fine for your purposes. Of course if you really feel the need for a new, state of the Art 4x5 see if any of the large makers, why not contact the distributors for Sinar, Arca, etc...? They may well offer special pricing for educators as an incentive in order to lure your students into the "family"
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White