Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5x7 Norma Bellows

5x7 Norma Bellows

Can someone give me a ballpark on what a replacement bellows might cost from Custom Bellows or Western Bellows.

Alternatively, does someone have a source on buying 1 roll of 3M #850 black tape?

Cheers,

Jon

Re: 5x7 Norma Bellows

I bought an original 5x7 Norma Bellows on Ebay a couple of years ago. It was new in the original box, I think I paid about $80 for it.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I had Custom Bellows make a new 5x7 Norma standard bellows and mount them for me a few months ago. The cost was £135, plus £20 for return shipping to the US. The bellows they made are very similar to the original bellows which they replaced. Turnaround time was quite fast, maybe two weeks?

5x7 Norma Bellows

Daniel, I've scoured for a replacement in EBay and a few other places. Nothing but used ones in probably similar condition.

Jason, thanks. That amount is not cheap but not bad for a quality product. Did you send them your existing bellows?

Jon

There is this one on German Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300852151456...84.m1423.l2649
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jonreid View Post
    Did you send them your existing bellows?
    I sent my old bellows mounted on the frames, and they removed the old bellows, cleaned up and repainted the frames, and mounted the new ones. Note that in a pinch current 13x18 bellows (for the P and F cameras) will fit on your Norma. The rear frame is a little different (plastic versus aluminum) so there is some play and perhaps possible leaks, but I have been using the current bag bellows model on my Norma for a few weeks with no issues.

5x7 Norma Bellows

Hi Jason,
    I found this http://bit.ly/X5aLxx
    Which appears to be the non-bag version of what you bought. Price is slightly higher after conversion to AUD than a replacement from Custom Bellows. I'd love some assurance it will fit my Norma correctly.

Jon

It probably would fit, but I would spend the money on a having a new bellows mounted by Custom Bellows. Do you have the frames?

Hi,
    Only on my existing bellows, which would mean sending them over..

Jon

I don't know if you are satisfied with the maximum extension of your present 5X7 bellows. The 4X5 Sinar bellows sometimes seems a bit short to me. I've read some people like the 4X5 Horseman bellows on a Sinar as it has a bit more length. The point is, if you have new bellows made, you could probably have them made somewhat longer, although this may cause a problem at minimum extension if you don't have a bag bellows to change over to.

I'm a pretty cheap guy myself, but if I were in your position I'd go for new bellows on your frames. If used Sinar 5X7 bellows weren't uncommon and hence usually expensive, it might be worth taking a chance on a used set. You might get lucky and find a nice used set that will last for years. Or a set that will have pinholes in a year.

On the other hand, 135 + 20 Pounds at today's exchange rate is about $245 US, not including postage to UK. That is a noticeable amount, at least to me. I thought I read Western Bellows isn't taking orders anymore, but maybe there is another US maker which would at least save you some postage cost. Custom Bellows has a wonderful reputation though.

Len