Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Showing off new acquisition Horseman FA

Re: Showing off new acquisition Horseman FA

You can close the Horseman FA/HF/HD 135mm Sironar N and the G Glaron 150mm. I have the one in the middle!

Cheers Armin

Roger William Barr

Sorry did not mean to ruffle anyones feathers..
    From the Horses mouth so to speak..
    http://www.horsemanusa.com/faq_tc.html See under number 3..

yep an older compur shutter is a tad tight in there with a flat board but theres about an inch of space from the front of the board to the rails.. I am thinking of adding a spacer that will bring the lens forward a little bit to afford a bit more access.

As I have a Tessar 150 lens set and a Tessar 135 lens set I am going to play around with these oldies before I decide between the 135 or 150 Rodenstock..

And BTW would not the depth between the board and rails play a factor with shallow lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn45 View Post
    ...all of these lenses will fit inside the Horseman..
    Any other recommendations accepted.. Is there an alternative to the Rodenstock or should I just wait till one turns up.. ??...
    ...From the Horses mouth so to speak..
    http://www.horsemanusa.com/faq_tc.html See under number 3...
    There's a huge difference between "may be used on" and "will fit inside." Horseman's answer to FAQ #3 is:

Any lens for large-format camera may be used on the Horseman Technical Cameras, as long as following conditions are met:
    1. Flange-back of the lens is 60mm to 250mm.
    2. The shutter used is either #0 or #1.
    3. Diameter of the rear lens does not exceed 65mm.
    4. Circle of the image of the lens covers the format used (exceeds 150mm for 4×5″, and 100mm for 6x9cm).

The only thing those criteria determine is whether a given lens can be used at all. I have a very long Horseman extension board for the FA (the 25654, which is no longer manufactured) that permits me to use a 300mm Nikkor M on the camera. Don't try to close the bed with that lens in place.

Sorry did not mean to ruffle anyones feathers..
    From the Horses mouth so to speak..
    http://www.horsemanusa.com/faq_tc.html See under number 3..

yep an older compur shutter is a tad tight in there with a flat board but theres about an inch of space from the front of the board to the rails.. I am thinking of adding a spacer that will bring the lens forward a little bit to afford a bit more access.

As I have a Tessar 150 lens set and a Tessar 135 lens set I am going to play around with these oldies before I decide between the 135 or 150 Rodenstock..

And BTW would not the depth between the board and rails play a factor with shallow lenses
    Looks like you got a great deal on a fantastic camera. I paid $900 for a 'demo' It was pretty clean but has punched in bellows in the front from being toyed with by clumsy fingers.
    The board with the C-1 ring extends the shutter to make access easier.
    In terms of short lenses, the 65mm Horseman 6x9cm lens with recessed board, just focuses at infinity hanging on the back of the front rails.
    Sal mentioned the extented lensboard, and they also made an extension from the rear. Also, if you run across any of the Topcor lenses for cheap, consider purchase. My experience with the LF Topcors is that they are right up there with the other Japanese LF lenses (Nikkor and Fujinon) in terms of quality.

Roger William Barr

Who there.. Thats quite a trunk. As it happens this is going to be more a hand holder.. thats why the desire to use compact lenses and be able to close the camera with the 150 or 135 or 90 in place. The less messing in the street the better.. That back attachment is extraordinary though.... Yep I can't find a mark on this little bay.. I truly think it was NOS... The box has the original styrofoam inserts and everything... And its all very tight and a little stiff as one would expect for a newly hewn piece.

I am somewhat housebound.. lamed up with a broken foot but expect to plow through quite a few sheets in the coming weeks as I test it out.. Also am planing a trip to Japan in June so want this to be a one lens point and shoot for that trip... I use grafmatics and set my lenses to marks on the bed for distance. The more one plays and practices the better one gets at the guessing game.. MY old Meridian which has just been retired had a Kalart that I spent hours calibrating and then wound up hardly ever using..I used to use the distance scale on the bed instead... Distance estimated with eye or Credit Card rangefinder..