Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap ( yeah ) but will it work. A 35mm digital back on a 4x5 View camera?

Newbie--Seattle Lite

Cheap ( yeah ) but will it work. A 35mm digital back on a 4x5 View camera?

I have a Pentex K100 digital back. In the passed I have used a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 roll film back on my view camera. So I was wondering if I were to make an adapter for my digital camera, would it work? If anyone has any ideas on this manner. I would really apprecieate the feed back before I envest the time to make this, only to find out that it will not work. Thanks, R.W.D

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Cheap ( yeah ) but will it work. A 35mm digital back on a 4x5 View camera?

I've seen other people write about this online. The trick is to get an extension tube for your camera model. This functions as the camera body mount. Then you can just fashion a replacement back panel for your camera out of plywood or something similar, bore a hole, and glue the extension tube into it. The shorter the tube you can get away with, the better. You don't want it limiting your camera movements too much.

I've thought about doing this just for fun.

There are many people thinking about this. Google dslr to 4x5 adapter.

Here's one DIY from a member here:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...it-kinda-works

I have a vague memory of a recent adapter that can mount the DSLR in 4 different positions for a 4 shot stitch but I can't find it.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

I have only one question WHY??? Cheers Gary

Quote Originally Posted by rdelung View Post
    I have a Pentex K100 digital back. In the passed I have used a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 roll film back on my view camera. So I was wondering if I were to make an adapter for my digital camera, would it work? If anyone has any ideas on this manner. I would really apprecieate the feed back before I envest the time to make this, only to find out that it will not work. Thanks, R.W.D
    You could use one of these with a adapter to make Pentax lenses fit on Canon or Nikon cameras.
    http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/len...rs.html?cat=13

But I googled the Pentax K100 that you said you have and it's only a 6 megapixel camera body. Even with the stitching of multiple images that you do with the adapter you resolution is going to be poor. You will need a newer DSLR with much higher resolution to even start coming close to a mediocre 4x5 negative scan.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Tarbert View Post
    I would NOT use it to shoot pictures, but i see at least three applications for it, all of them quite useful.
    1) focal plane meter, better if used with a gray card
    2) quick test of new lenses (especially useful if you have little time)
    3) precious aid to design a new diaphragm scale

For testing purposes, a sliding adapter would be much better. It is not just about IQ center vs borders, sometimes is very useful to check the focus too (with the lens wide open).
    In my case, and i am sure the same would be true for many others, an accessory like that would be quite useful, definitely.
    I don't have one, because they are still too expensive, given their very simple construction. Chinese stuff is not always super cheap!
    It seems that those who buy one are sticking to it. I have seen only ONE of them, sold as second hand on Ebay.
    have fun
    CJ

WTB (and pay good monet for):
    soft back cell for Ilex Photoplastic 5x7
    disks for Imagon 420mm
    5x7 back for Calumet C1
    5x7 conversion for Bi-System

for sale
    Photographica

The OP wants an expensive, cumbersome and bulky macro bellows?

Newbie--Seattle Lite

Quote Originally Posted by rdelung View Post
    Thanks for all the input. But before I take on this project. I would like to know how an exposure would be made. Will the camera back do it all, or will i have to use an adapter on on the flash shoe and run a cable to the flash input on my lens? To those who wonder why I want to do this. I'm cheap, and I'm tired of having to use chemicals. Also I'm in considering weather or not the keep my 4x5 Besslor enlarger and years of accrued stuff. I would also like your input as to keep it, or not? Thanks, RWD

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

I have a cannon to 45 adapter off eBay $200

Never used it.

Try looking up DIY chemistry or ken lee has info on low tox Chems

Plenty on web

My next mission is low tox set up.

Why you nog want to use chem.

Jobo?
    through a glass darkly...

retrogrouchy

Ultra-macro with good control of the plane of focus. Other than that, I wouldn't bother.

As to how, there are plenty of adapters on eBay. In theory you could stitch a larger frame together by shifting the back around but I reckon the mirror box of your DSLR will vignette unless the lens in use is quite long.