Thread: EBay Automated Filtering into LF Film Camera Category

EBay Automated Filtering into LF Film Camera Category

I thought this might be of general interest.

I wonder if EBay software may be automatically filtering auction listings in the Large Format type under the Film Camera category? If it doesn't like what it sees, then I wonder if it leaves it in the Film Camera category, along with the other billion or so auctions.

I want to list some magazines in an auction style listing. (The LF section is definitely appropriate for this magazine.) I've specified in the auction that they be listed in the LF section. But on checking that section later, they don't appear. Yet, when I list a view camera accessory, it does appear in the LF section. The only differences between the two auctions are in the titles, descriptions, photos, and shipping. One is listed as an auction; the accessory was listed at a fixed price.

I placed two calls to EBay support, and both times I've been told that it's a problem with the system. Under their direction, I created new auctions; again, they don't appear. I was also told that it shouldn't be a problem listing a magazine in the LF section. In both cases, the problem was "escalated". Yet, I've heard nothing since.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Re: EBay Automated Filtering into LF Film Camera Category

You can manually choose a section, I haven't seemed to have a problem as of late, even if ebay defaults to something different.

Personally though, since they ARE magazines, I'd just list them as such. But you can also list them under a second category(extra fees apply I believe for this 'option'), such as large format.

Be aware though, I've sold books before that I'd prefer to ship via priority or express mail, primarily due to cost and time in transit.
    Specify in your description that(this is if you choose to do so), if you will only ship via priority mail for instance, that the buyer wait for your invoice so you can charge appropriate shipping costs vs the 'default' USPS media mail that eBay puts on you as a seller...

Maybe things have changed, just suggesting things to you so you don't get burned on underpricing shipping rates because ebay limits you because of your chosen category...

-Dan

Re: EBay Automated Filtering into LF Film Camera Category

if your main catagory is ..say vintage equipment, when you add the second catagory of film cameras - you can't specify large format - it's just tossed into non-specified

same thing happens with lenses