Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Request a List of recommended compact Lenses for Horseman FA

Roger William Barr

Request a List of recommended compact Lenses for Horseman FA

Don't know if this should go in a different forum, Moderators please let me know..
    I know theres tons of talk on here about different lenses for use with an FA, nd often links to a complicated chart of lenses on the manufacturers website.

I would love the FA users to submit some sort of list of lenses that they have used and know can be stored in the camera folded up. Manufacturer specs are one thing but user experience is much preferred. I am thinking.

Schneider Angulon 90mm

Rodenstock Sironar 135 Sironar N

Are suggested elsewhere..

What about a 210 anything fit ??

Want to confine this list to only lenses that are known, by users to fit in an un modified FA when closed.

Thanks Buddies

Re: Request a List of recommended compact Lenses for Horseman FA

It is not a 210mm, but quite close and much more small and compact, although with less room for movements: Nikkor-M 200mm f/8.

If any 210mm will fit, it's probably a g-claron or a geronar. Those are both pretty small 210s. A 150mm g-claron is a very small lens, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn45 View Post
    ...I would love the FA users to submit some sort of list of lenses that they have used and know can be stored in the camera folded up....
    Quote Originally Posted by jbpcamarat View Post
    It is not a 210mm, but quite close and much more small and compact, although with less room for movements: Nikkor-M 200mm f/8.
    Nope, the 200mm Nikkor M has a 52mm filter thread. An FA won't close with it installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    If any 210mm will fit, it's probably a g-claron or a geronar...
    Nope. An FA won't close with any 210mm lens installed. Both of those are in Copal 1 shutters and have 49mm filter threads. A 210mm Xenar is also in a Copal 1 and has 46mm filter threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    ...A 150mm g-claron is a very small lens, too.
    That one, in a Copal 0 and having 35.5mm filter threads, will close inside an FA.

The criteria for closing include being in a Copal 0, having a front cell of 43mm maximum diameter (to fit between the bed raiils) and a "reasonably shallow" depth. I haven't quantified "reasonably shallow" because any lenses that meet the first two seem to meet the last one.

Other lenses that will close in an FA are the 150mm Germinar W, 150mm Xenar, 150mm Geronar, 135mm Apo Sironar N and 90mm Congo WideField. There may be a few more, but I'm not aware of them.

Note that Calumet-branded versions of the above compatible lenses are physically identical and will also close inside an FA.

If an Angulon will fit I'd be surprised if a 210 Repro Claron (great lens) won't fit. They don't get much smaller than that. I believe it is a 0 sized shutter but I'll have to check when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...There may be a few more, but I'm not aware of them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    If an Angulon will fit I'd be surprised if a 210 Repro Claron (great lens) won't fit. They don't get much smaller than that. I believe it is a 0 sized shutter...
    That seems to be one I wasn't aware of.

According to this

the 210mm Repro Claron is in a 0 shutter and has 40.5mm front filter threads. The illustration on page 1 shows a Compur shutter. I doubt, but am not certain, that there are dimensional differences between a Copal 0 and Compur 0 which might cause interference with the FA. Probably good to go!

My FA won't close with any Horseman LF Lens on it. 210mm = NO, 90mm = NO, 180mm = NO, 150mm = NO.

Roger William Barr

This is all good info.. So it seems possible to put together a three lens kit where each lens could close into the FA.. The 135 and 90 seems easy to find.. the question is the 210 or similar length..

Find a 203mm 7.7 Ektar. The quality of that lens will blow your socks off. Unless you're like my brother and law and don't wear socks. Then I don't wanna know.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Roger William Barr

I love this forum because people have no problem promoting the use of antique equipment when it can do the job as well as new. Theres a ton o folks who think new is always better and they don't seem to realize that a lot of it is media hype. The only reason I am going to a Horseman is for stiffness and portability. The stiffness left my Meridian 45 A many years ago..But many of these older lenses that were used by the likes of Paul strand produced beautiful results. And they were a lot lighter and more compact than the over engineered (in some instances) lenses of today. The only problem I have had in the past is getting a shutter in really good shape and have had to pay to have them serviced.. So thanks for the tip on the Ektar. It's true that Kodak lenses were really quite special.