Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Century stand

Re: Century stand

I think Louis is using the expression to cover diverse sliding backs, which have a width wider than the camera body?

multiplex

Century stand: the camera stand of the future !

hey tim

i have a semi-centennial stand on my grand 8a ( less the holder for the holders ) ... and it has 3 wheels
    yours sounds very nice ... mine is an odd one, it has decorative columns and a few do-dads that other stands don't seem to have.

i posted this a long while ago ...

the century camera company was incorporated in ny state in 1901
    but they were not the original makers of the camera stand.

according to "the photographic times and american photographer"
    a book i found in google books edited by wi lincoln adams in 1890
    ( volume xx, published by the photographic times publishing association in ny )

info on the the semi centennial stand can be found on page 181 -
    it says: " the semi centennial camera stand invented by e.c. fisher and sold by c.h. codman & company,
    is worthy description in this column. it is called ' the camera stand of the future'
    and twelve reasons are given why the professional photographer should adopt it.

they are as follows:

first, because you can lower the camera within thirteen inches of the floor,
    this being lower than any other stand will admit of.

second, because you can raise the camera as high as you wish.

third, because it is the only camera stand using rubber wheels as casters,
    therefore it is perfectly noiseless.

fourth. because it has one of the best turning castors in use.

fifth, by the use of its coiling springs and key, you can make it counterbalance any weight of camera, from 8x10 to 14x17 inclusive.

sixth, because you can quickly adjust your camera up or down with perfect ease.

seventh, because it is very strong and rigid.

eighth, because it is simple in construction and will not get out of order.

ninth, because it is thoroughly made, of neat design, light with no heavy weights.
    it is an ornament to the studio.

tenth, because with ease of working you will make better work. you never look down upon the sitter, but squarely in the face.

eleventh, because it was invented by a practical photographer, and has been perfect in all its points.

twelfth, because every stand is warranted perfect in all respects.
    the stand when packed ready for shipment, weighs ninety-five pounds, and the price, boxed is twenty-five dollars.

Thanks for the info, Jnanian. The writer of this copy reminds me of one of my favorite PT Barnum types, a fellow named George Leonard Herter who was the head of the old Herter's Sporting Goods empire and who's writing style and claims about his hundreds of products, took hyperbole to an extraordinary height. Among his many product claims was the "fact" that his ax handles were the world's finest (everything in his catalog was the world's finest) because they were cured for over a year in mounds of horse manure which gave them the most extreme flexibility.Reading through one of his old catalogs is often more fun than anything on TV.

One of my nearby friends has the stand that your post refers to and it is indeed a great one.

Have a great day.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by SLVRGLTN View Post
    Ok good to know about the 4x5 backs but what is a "WING KIT" what do they look like?
    The wing kit is for decreasing the opening of the spring back being used with the Sliding Carriage #1. So a wing kit for 8x10 is 5x8 which turns the horizontal sheet of 8x10 film into two vertical 5x8 images on the same sheet of film. Also the 5x7 spring back in horizontal position will make two 3 1/4 x 5 images with the 5x7 wing kit in position.

The added attachment are of a Sliding Carriage #1 with the 8x10 wing kit in place and then with the 8x10 spring back in place showing the split negative of 5x8. The wings keep the light from spilling over onto the unexposed side of the negative.

Hope this helps .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_2101.jpg   DSC_2104.jpg   DSC_2107.jpg   DSC_2108.jpg  

Thanks Louis, I am still working out the deal with the guy on price,it has the wing kit but it needs to be glued back together no noticeable broken parts but I don't think I would use it anyways so once I close the deal I probably just sell the wing kit once I get it home and fix the issue! I will post pics once I seal the deal! Any reasonable price I should pay for it?
    Last edited by SLVRGLTN; 8-Jan-2013 at 11:00. Reason: Added info