Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Century stand

Century stand

My Century studio camera (which I've had forever) came with what seems to be a Century #1 stand. At least I finally found a catalog illustration which lists it as such. My question is, is this the rarest of the rare, or more likely a mundane member of the Century family. Thus far, I haven't been able to find any further info regarding manufacturing dates which I would also like to know.

Many thanks.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Re: Century stand

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    My Century studio camera (which I've had forever) came with what seems to be a Century #1 stand. At least I finally found a catalog illustration which lists it as such. My question is, is this the rarest of the rare, or more likely a mundane member of the Century family. Thus far, I haven't been able to find any further info regarding manufacturing dates which I would also like to know.
    Can you point to a picture of it? There were many studio camera stands, and two look somewhat alike - a real Century stand and a near-copy which simply had less decorative bottom rollers.

I have one as well in very good condition (but a bit dusty)

Attached is the label.
    Attachment 86153

If you mean the table type one with the four wheels, you don't see them often. I've seen one or two in person, out of dozens of the semi-centennial "two post" types. Is it this one?: http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bi...ogin=century_1 As big as they are, I'm thinking they didn't sell very well, compared to the highly adjustable and still portable two post type.

Garret, Mine does not have a Century label, but otherwise it is very similar to the one pictures if you leave off the huge tray for the film/plate holders. Thanks for the image.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

The cameras usually come with the sliding carriage back? Does the 8x10 backs slide in and out of the carriage part? I'm in the process of purchasing one of these and it comes with the 5x7 back no 8x10 back! Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Regarding the backs.

Mine also came with a sliding 5x7, I could not find an original 8x10, so I bought a Kodak 2D back assembly and had a photographer/finish carpenter friend of mine (who is also a member here) create the assembly so that it fits the Century perfectly. I had no need for a sliding 8x10, so I'm good to go with this solution.

I was thinking the same thing I'm in no need of the sliding carriage either! So I will do some more researching and see if I can find an original or just have a back made for it! They came with 4x5 backs to if I'm not mistaken! Thanks for the info

Happy to oblige "S". If you decide to adapt an existing back and would like to see some images, I'll be glad to take a few of mine and send them your way.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by SLVRGLTN View Post
    They came with 4x5 backs to if I'm not mistaken! Thanks for the info
    They did not come with 4x5 spring backs. All the Century Studio cameras and Ansco/Agfa for that matter came with 8x10 and 5x7 spring backs as well as wing kits for both formats. The Century 8a came with 11x14, 8x10 and 5x7 along with wing kits for all three formats.

You could certainly order a 4x5 back as an extra. They did manufacture them for their studio cameras.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Century #10a regarding included backs.jpg   Century #8 regarding included backs.jpg  

Ok good to know about the 4x5 backs but what is a "WING KIT" what do they look like?