Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: I just bought this Wisner 8 by 10 1500

Re: I just bought this Wisner 8 by 10 1500

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Nik, it certainly looks like you bought a Wisner 8x10 Traditional L camera and looks to be a fine example IMHO.

The attachment is straight from the Wisner Catalog and it states that all but the 4x5 Traditional S camera (which uses brass hardware) where made with brass anodized aluminum hardware for weight savings.

I added the link for the PDF of the Wisner Catalog for all who care.
    Here's the link- http://www.largeformatphotography.in...MonoChrome.pdf

Hope this helps
    Louis
    Thanks! That was very helpful!

Nik

Peter
    Thanks I sent you a pm, Would love to meet up!

Nik

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I'm in Fond du lac, just a hop, skip and a jump away. I'd be happy to go out photographing with you. I also have a bunch of 8x10 holders and some lenses you could use: a 240mm, 300mm, a 420mm and a 600mm. Let's not forget tripods. I have at least 8, including some big ones.
    Peter
    Thanks I would love to meet up, I sent you a pm

Thanks
    Nik

'Now I should really start ignoring you,...

Not so fast Nik!

Lets look at this and see why I find it irksome, you BOUGHT a camera and now want a series of opinions on whether 'Is this a good deal?' What if the consensus was that it wasn't a good deal? You'd return the camera in a flash and possibly leave bad feedback to boot then run off to paypal for a refund. All because you didn't spend a full four minutes doing research. Wisner cameras are always listed on Ebay/net so they aren't hard birds to track.

The time to ask questions about cameras is before you buy them, not after the fact. Buyers remorse wastes everyones time. Get it now?

Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    It's a Wisner Traditional. I just sold mine last year. It does appear to be missing the plate on the front that said something like, "Wisner Classic Manufacturing Company, Marion, Massachusetts," but maybe he made some early or late models that didn't have the plate. I bought mine new in 1995. This one appears to be identical to mine other than the missing plate.
    The bellows on this one is red leather. It's a dark red, but it looks just like the one I had. It's a nice camera. I decided to move back to 4x5 and that's why I sold it. The camera was still in good condition after 16 years of use. I had to tape up the top handle, and occasionally tighten some screws, but everything worked well. I did fray the bellows slightly when I first got it. When you open and close the camera, the front standard rubs against the bellows unless you push the bellows back a little with your fingers while opening and closing. The bellows never developed a leak, fortunately, and the fraying never got worse after I realized what was happening. The Wisners had their quirks, but I was happy with mine.
    I had a Nikkor 240mm W and a 450mm M initially. When Cooke began to offer the Series XVa triple convertible lens about 10 years ago, I replaced the 450mm with that. The Cooke is a great lens for 8x10. It gives you 12 1/4", 19", and 25 1/2 " focal lengths, and all work well on the Wisner. The 25 1/2" configuration is a little difficult to use front movements with, since you can't reach the front standard when it's extended that much (at least I can't, and I've got long arms), but it wasn't that difficult to deal with. It was great having three useful focal lengths in a single package, and in a lens that cost less than you'd pay for a new 25 1/2" lens. I believe that Cooke is still making these (Badger Graphics lists them), but it's a special order and takes a few months. The last used one for sale I saw was mine. Cooke hasn't made a lot of these.
    Enjoy the camera.
    Thanks
    for the helpful info
    Nik

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    If this camera doesn't have rear axis tilt then it's a Traditional as others have said and you might want to discuss a reduction in the purchase price with Adorama on the ground that they misrepresented the camera in their listing. IIRC the Traditional sold for some hundreds of dollars less than the Tech Fields.

Brian
    Thanks for the info very helpful

Nik

The OP started with:

Is this a good deal? If it is I'm in the market for a lens that will cover 8 by 10 on a compatible lens board, please send me a pm, If not, I have 30 days to return it..
    This is an Ebay purchase and their rules apply.
    The lister has given you 30 days - not to check out whether you have not made a "good deal" and return - but to check it matches the description and doesn't have any faults not discovered by the Seller. Unless the Seller waivered these standard conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    The OP started with:

This is an Ebay purchase and their rules apply.
    The lister has given you 30 days - not to check out whether you have not made a "good deal" and return - but to check it matches the description and doesn't have any faults not discovered by the Seller. Unless the Seller waivered these standard conditions!
    Thanks Steven, I'm not planning on returning it, unless it's unrepairably flawed. I was mainly looking for an assurance and information from the knowledgeable members of this forum. I have some experience with 4 by 5 using a crown graphic and Tachihara for the last 2 years, but little with 8 by 10. I got a lot of helpful replies to my question. I appreciate your reply to my original question, perhaps, I could have phrased it differently

Nik

Welcome to the land of 8x10!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Welcome to the land of 8x10!
    Thanks John! It's a dream coming true

Nik