Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I just bought this Wisner 8 by 10 1500

I just bought this Wisner 8 by 10 1500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WISNER-8X10-...EOIBSA:US:3160

Is this a good deal? If it is I'm in the market for a lens that will cover 8 by 10 on a compatible lens board, please send me a pm, If not, I have 30 days to return it.. This is my first foray into 8 by 10 but I have experience with a Tachihara, and speed graphic for 4 by 5.

Thanks
    Nik

Re: I just bought this Wisner 8 by 10 1500

Quote Originally Posted by Roboflick View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WISNER-8X10-...EOIBSA:US:3160

Is this a good deal? If it is I'm in the market for a lens that will cover 8 by 10 on a compatible lens board, please send me a pm, If not, I have 30 days to return it.. This is my first foray into 8 by 10 but I have experience with a Tachihara, and speed graphic for 4 by 5.

Thanks
    Nik

yes, imo a very decent price

andrew

It's a nice camera. I had one for awhile but decided to concentrate on 4x5. Condition is everything with regards to price.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Great, does anyone have a film holder and a lens in compatible board that they are willing to part with? I may be in the market if the camera checks out

Thanks
    Nik

You can always make your own lens board if you can't find the official one.
    There are many answers to be found on Google and this forum.
    I made one using two pieces of masonite, some glue and a bit of drilling.

As for lens, you should specify what focal length you want, your intended use (portraits, landscapes, etc) and post a WTB ad for everyone to see.

The price is probably fair, not great but certainly not bad either for an 8x10 in the cosmetic condition this one appears from the photos to be in. Wisner's cameras seem to have taken a nosedive in prices since the company went out of business so to me they generally represent good value for the money.

I'd suggest that the first thing you do after receiving the camera is to test the bellows for pinholes or other light leaks. A new bellows for 8x10 can set you back around $300.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks for the comments, I thought it looked like a good deal and they accepted my offer. I will check out the bellows and post a wtb thread for a lens and lens board

Nik

It seems like a good price to me, especially since it's in such nice condition. If it were 8x10, this is the Wisner that I would have chosen. It's the Traditional model, versus the Expedition. It's lighter in weight. I don't know if it's the brass version, or the plated "airplane" aluminum model. The latter was even lighter still.

Whether this was the case for these 8x10's, but beware if you purchase a bag bellows. Some of the Wisner bag bellows were red inside, versus black. I would ask, if purchasing the bag bellows.

Looks just like my first 8x10. Wisner lensboards are not uncommon. Plus anyone who's handy with woodworking can make some very serviceable boards out of Baltic birch plywood. Don't limit your considerations of lenses only to ones mounted on Wisner boards. Remounting a lens onto the appropriate board is not complicated.

Does it not have a name plate? That looks more like a Zone VI than a Wisner and it is, definitely, not a Technical Field. The metal looks like anodized aluminum, not brass, and the bellows should be red leather. If it were a Traditional or Technical Field it would be a triple extension, that looks like a double extension. Forgetting the bellows color and allowing for the double extension and the aluminum metalwork, it is more like the Wisner Expedition, but I thought all of those were Technical Field cameras. I suppose Wisner might have made something to order, but that camera does not seem, to me, to conform to what he advertised for the Traditional, Technical Field or the Expedition 8x10 cameras. How much bellows extension does it have?